Frequently Asked Questions

What is the definition of ‘in and around buildings’?

As provided in the CRRU code of Best Practice, ‘In and around buildings’ shall be understood as the building itself, and the area around the building that needs to be treated in order to deal with the infestation of the building. This would cover uses in sewer systems or ships but not in waste dumps or open areas such as farmlands, parks or golf courses. For further information please click here

How do I go about doing my risk assessment?

The assessments are specific to the task and site and need to be completed by the person/company planning to undertake the work. Barrettine providese ‘risk management’ training courses, to enable Pest Controllers to undertake their own risk assessments and method statements.

Are honey bees protected?

No. This is a common misconception. Bees are not protected but they are considered to be in danger if a current issue such as disease and carelessness continues. Treatment/disposal of the nest must be considered carefully. If a nest is causing no health and safety issues, then it is recommended they are left to thrive or call a beekeeper to relocate the bees.

Do bed bugs carry disease?

Bed bugs are not known to spread disease but can be an annoyance because their presence may cause itching and loss of sleep. Sometimes the itching can lead to excessive scratching that can sometimes increase the chance of a secondary skin infection.

What training do I require to carry out insect control work in a grain store?

Insecticides approved for use in grain stores are classed as agricultural pesticides and it is a legal requirement that the user must hold a certificate of competence such as a PA1 & PA6 and/or PA9 (or meet one of the qualifications for exemption from so doing – consult the Training Code of Practice for using Plant Protection Products, available from Visit the NPTC website for details regarding PA1 & PA6 certificates or contact or Barrettine for training. Please click here 

I am interested in becoming a professional pest controller, what training do I require?

Guidance can be found on the Health and Safety Executive website, or alternatively Barrettine offer a wide range of training courses for people new to the industry. Please click here

I tried to order professional products online but my order is on hold and I have been asked to provide training certificates?

The Control of Pesticides Regulations demands that users of products labelled ‘professional use’ must have received adequate instruction, guidance and be competent. Therefore, evidence of training and in certain cases a declaration must be provided prior to supplying professional use products. Require Training? Click Here


Please refer to product labels for technical & treatment guidance before commencing with any application.

Manufacturer's guidelines supersede all search information provided by this website.

In Association With

Professional requirements and regulatory conditions that support the Public Health Sector and we are internationally accredited for Environmental & Quality Management Standards.